Monday, November 9, 2015

Alexio Medina: A New Beginning

Alexio Medina has not lived the ordinary life that every college baseball experiences. Before coming to Fredonia, Alexio studied at Erie Community College where he was a member of the baseball program like a few his Blue Devil teammates (Jim Krolikowski, Kyle Sherma). Instead of trying to continue his baseball career after ECC, Alexio took a different route. He decided to hang up his cleats and  try to pursue a career in contracting.

After a year-long break away from the field, Alexio realized this was no longer the life he wanted to live. "The career in contracting was just not panning out the way I had expected," said Alexio. "I decided it was time to make a change and head back to school."

He was ready to give college another look and get back into baseball. "Honestly sitting out a year of baseball was torture," said Alexio. "There aren't too many things in this world that I love more than playing this game and now that I am back, I couldn't be happier."

Alexio does not give himself all of the credit for deciding to continue his career. He gives some credit to his former ECC teammates for pushing him to return. "I missed these guys a lot more than I realized," said Alexio. "My time with those guys at ECC were some of the best years of my life and I cannot wait to create new ones with them and my new teammates here at Fredonia."

 Alexio had the opportunity of playing with Blue Devils senior captain Kyle Sherman, a former ECC teammate, this past summer in AAA Muny. It was during this time that Alexio began to develop an interest in Fredonia and feel that if given the chance to play, he could have a major impact on the team. "Everyday Kyle would push me to come tryout at Fredonia," said Alexio. "He believed that I could help out the team in many ways and hearing that really just made me want to come to Fredonia then."

Coach Palisin met up with Alexio at a summer-league game and was impressed with his size and speed. Sherman vouched for his character. "In the time Alexio has been here, he is one of the most concientious people I have met. He also gets the job done in the weight room and in the cage," said coach Palisin.

Beside having a strong love for baseball, Alexio enjoys working out as well. "The weight room is similar to the baseball field to me," said Alexio. "It's a great way to escape reality and blow off some steam." You can always spot Alexio hitting up the gym with teammate and roommate James Krolikowski, who Alexio had some kind words to say about. "James is honestly one of the nicest kids I have ever met and it is so easy to live with him because we share many of the same values."

Here are some expectations that Alexio has for himself this season:

Did you know?
Alexio's father was drafted by the Montreal Expos.
Alexio is one of a dozen players on the team that played for local legend Ronnie Lieb at some point.
Majoring in psychology.







No comments:

Post a Comment