Thursday, October 29, 2015

Luke Kuczewski: OP connection

Last year, while playing for Orchard Park High School, Luke Kuczewski was the Quaker's starting catcher on a team ranked No. 1 in Class AA most of the year. Seems like a pretty normal situation right? Well that's where you're wrong.

Throughout his whole life, Luke had actually been a pitcher. It was not until his senior year of high school when he decided that he would make the transition to catcher. The Quakers had a deep staff, including the WNY Pitcher of the Year, but the team needed a catcher. "I caught for my senior year because there was a space to be filled at catcher," said Luke. "I wanted to ensure myself a position while trying to help my team."

Coach Palisin had initially seen Luke at a Showcase during the summer where he performed well. Freshman-at-the time Patrick Sheehan, an OP grad, had also recommended Luke, as did coach Jeff Helmbrecht of the Buffalo Braves travel team. "He's got a pretty good stick, too," Helmbrecht mentioned.

Luke visited Fredonia in the fall, and indicated that he wanted to pitch for the Blue Devils. Upon getting his opportunity to pitch at the collegiate level, Luke said "I am definitely happy to be back at my normal position on the mound. I can't wait to show what I can do and to compete for some innings."

Luke turned in a strong fall, and will push for a spot in the rotation. He spun three scoreless against FLCC in this fall's playdate.

Luke is not the only player on the team to reverse his roles throughout his baseball career. Sheehan, his high school friend and teammate, was a pitcher at O.P. Patrick was brought in to pitch, but last year after a season-ending injury to senior catcher Anthony Schiro, and junior Dan Cecilia not being cleared for the 13-game Florida trip, Sheehan moved to catcher and was the Opening Day starter. Sheehan's brother had been an All SUNYAC catcher in 2013.

Luke also gives Pat a lot of credit for his interest in Fredonia. "When pitching to Pat there is a connection that makes me feel more comfortable when I am on the mound," said Luke. "So when it came to deciding where I wanted to go it didn't take much for me to consider here thanks to Pat." The duo also played MUNY ball together this past summer.

Beside having a love for baseball, Luke also has a love for his Buffalo Bills. "I wasn't always an avid Bills fan but over the past few years I have began to develop a love for our boys," said Luke. "I love how the city comes together because of the team and how much energy there is around town on game days." You can catch Luke wearing his Kyle Williams jersey around campus on game days.

Here's what Luke had to say about what he looks forward to for the upcoming season:



Did you Know?:
Both Luke and Patrick work the luxury boxes at the Bills home games.
Lives 1.3 miles from Ralf Wilson Stadium.
OP connection: Brian Sheehan --> brother Patrick Sheehan --> friend Luke Kuczewski --> who's next?
Roommate: Freshman pitcher Josh Koepsell


No comments:

Post a Comment