Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Kevin Yirinec: Almost a State Champ


Kevin is the son of Brian and Robin Yirinec. He attended Fairport High School where he was a member of the National Honors Society and graduated with High Honors. Kevin played varsity baseball for two years and received numerous honors including First Team All-GreaterRochester his senior year. 

He also played volleyball and won a state championship his junior year. Outside of athletics, Kevin was also a member of the school band, in which he played the trombone.
---
Fredonia Baseball Public Relations Manager Quinn Danahy -- and lifting partner -- sat down with Kevin and asked him a few questions so you could get to know him a little better:

 


Walk Up Song
Favorite Movie

Favorite Food


What would you say has been your favorite thing about college so far?
The newly gained freedom. It is nice to be able to set your own schedule and do things on your time.

What are you currently majoring in and what is like to be in the schools honor program?
Business Administration. Being in the Honors Program is really great because it helps push me academically and also provides me with a different friend group aside from the baseball guys.
Who would you say has had the biggest impact on you thus far?
The person who has had the biggest impact on me thus far is Quinn. He was the first upperclassmen to reach out to me and help me get accustomed to the expectations college baseball demands from you. He also helped me relax while I'm playing, which ultimately helped me feel more comfortable around the team.
What was it like to play under former Blue Devil Daniel Fetes?


What did he teach you about college ball?
The big thing that coach Fetes taught me that has helped me transition to college baseball easier is that you must keep a short memory. Don't let little things get into your head and take you out of even just one play. Only focus on what you can control and you will be able to perform at a competitive level.
Would you say he had any help in you earning First Team All Greater Rochester?
He spent countless hours helping me with my swing and pushing me to become better every day. He not only helped me prepare physically, but mentally as well. In many ways, I am a product of coach Fetes.
What was it like to play in the New York State Legion Championship game?
A once in a lifetime experience. It was really cool being able to compete against some of the best teams in the state and see what type of competition there is out there.
You met your current roomate DJ Schiersing at the Legion State Tournament in Utica. Tell us more.
The first time I ever met DJ was when he was walked in the final game of the New York State Legion Championship's round robin group stage. I was playing first base so we were able to have a brief conversation right then and there. I had known for some time that DJ was going to be my roommate, which made it even more exciting to be able to face him in the tournament.
What has been the most memorable baseball moment from your career?| 
Going 3-4 with 3 triples in a game at the state tournament. Coincidently it was the game in which I was facing DJ's team, which made it even sweeter because I think I made a decent first impression.




No comments:

Post a Comment