Thursday, December 11, 2014

Super sophs


Trot Kelly and RJ Spinella stopped by the office to meet with Baseball Operations Manager, Tim Fairhead. Both are sophomores. Trot (real name Liam) was familiar with the area having played on a travel team out of Dunkirk (3 miles from here) with Max Scharntz and Jake Harford. He is also the fifth Bishop Timon alum to play at Fredonia in the last few years.

Trot's dad, T.K. (Tim) runs the school for the deaf in Buffalo, so Trot is fluent in sign language-- even some sign slang. He was born in Boston and is a Red Sox fan, so he picked up the moniker "Trot" from his favorite player, Trot Nixon.

Trot teamed up with another sophomore, Mike Prentice, to win the NYS American Legion Championship played in Utica two years ago

RJ Spinella, a Utica-area native, was in the stands that day. RJ was a walk-on to the program, and immediately earned his teammate's respect. According to former Blue Devil and last year's team captain Connor Lorenzo - RJ is "always asking questions and trying to soak up knowledge". He is now the team's SAAC rep.

He played infield at Cassville high school, but has moved to the outfield here to utilize his speed. Cassville is a small school, Class C or D, and RJ always speaks with pride of his time there.

RJ received an academic scholarship to Fredonia and has outstanding grades. Let's take a closer look:


1) If you were stranded on an Island and had to pick 2 other teammates to go with you who would you choose?
     Trot: I would bring RJ because I'm pretty sure he lives outdoors anyway. Secondly I would take Mike Prentice because he has an Xbox One
     RJ: I would bring Dan Cecilia because he has savage instincts, and Trot Kelly because he's an all around good guy.

2)If you were trapped in a TV show for one week what show would you choose?
     Trot: Definitely Full House. I would have words with John Stamos.
     RJ: I would have to go with Friends. I can hang out with Jennifer Aniston

3)Willy C or Cranston for food on campus?
     Trot:  Neither, I'm a homemade meals kind of guy.
     RJ: Definitely the FSA Cafe in the Science Center.

4)Whats the greatest strength you will bring to the team?
     Trot: My greatest strength is the positive attitude I bring to the field everyday.
     RJ: I would say its my GPA.

5)What will your walk up song be this season?/
     Trot: Lemonade by Gucci Mane
     RJ: Pump Up the Jams by Technotronics

6)Who is your favorite professional athlete?
     Trot: It's a tie between Kyle Orton and Trot Nixon.
     RJ: Matt Carpenter.

7)What is the number one played song on your iPod?
     Trot: All I want for Christmas is You, by Mariah Carey, with a number of other "fire" playlists.
     RJ: Free Bird by Leonard Skynnard.

8)What's your summer job, do you plan on keeping it after college?
     Trot: I am a town worker and I would love to keep that job!
     RJ: I work at a motorcycle shop and I would stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment