Monday, December 19, 2011

A sit-down with George Brett

Here is an excerpt from Peter Gammons writing about his interview with George Brett near the end of George's career. This has been referenced a time or two a practice.

GAMMONS: In September 1992, ESPN sent me to the home of one of my all-time favorite players, George Brett, for a Sunday Conversation as he edged closer to his 3,000th hit. "What do you want for your last at-bat?" I asked George.

"I want to hit a ground ball to second," Brett replied, "bust my butt down the line and be out by an eyelash."

---

I was a big fan of George's when I was growing up, even though the Twins were my team. Rarely has there been a player that has played as hard as George Brett while enjoying the game as much as he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment